Thursday, November 17, 2011

Where am I now

I am a school teacher.

I am a 5th grade school teacher of 22 children.

I am a 5th grade school teacher of 22 children who need to be acknowledged.

I am a 5th grade school teacher of 22 children who need to be acknowledged each day and given a smile.

I am a 5th grade school teacher who wears down by 3:30pm because of 22 children, full of energy and questions, who need to be acknowledged each day (whether I feel like it or not) and given a smile that is genuine.

You see where this is going. I am a working adult who for some reason has a hard even saying  the right answer to the question,"Do you work?"  "Why yes, I am a teacher." Stumble. Stumble.

Maybe it's because I have been one for so long now. Only difference is the schedule is strictly held, I have tests to administer regularly, I can't just sit on the carpet all day to read something exciting, I get paid now, and oh yeah, I have to get up at 5:30am and actually look decent. Well, 5 out of 6 isn't so bad?

Processing. First year out of the home, I'm not teaching my own child what I'd like her to get, I am investing greatly in 22 children I just met, and somehow trying to juggle the rest of life.

Hmmm... where will this new journey take me at 44 years of age? Only time will tell.

Processing.

No comments: