Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Road Not Taken

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This poem is my life story, my favorite poem. My mom gave me his book of poems many years back not really knowing it was God's plan for me to find this one poem. I know it is probably one of his most popular poems but for me it's personal. There are times I reflect on the words of Robert Frost and see my life.

sold out for Christ
married to a black man
homeschool my children
move far from home
risk taker
simplify for life

All roads that most never even trod upon. God is so good to lead me down each path, each new road without any hesitation. Never regretting the decision; only embracing it more. His vision and purpose is embedded in each one of these roads. I find myself walking down a dusty country road and there nailed to an occasional tree is a note straight form God telling me, "Oh yeah.. now do this... I'm here, in this too." And each step, each new road, He is.

I'm so glad that I know and serve a living God who walks with me down The Road Not Taken. His path is so much better than any one I could have chosen. Can't always see it in the thick brush that smacks you up side the face every now and again but after I move past that and into the clearing, I can see God's purpose and His plan. And boy was it worth the adverture.

Reality Check:
How about you? What is your purpose? Got any new plans? Have you asked Jesus lately... does He have something new for you? Is it time to go down a new road that isn't always an easy one? What's stopping you?

Thanks for listening,
Tina
aka:Tuna Jones

2 comments:

Sara Kay said...

I can so relate to this. Occasionally Nick and I look at each other and ask, "Can't we just do SOMETHING the easy way?!" The answer is usually no, because we'd far rather do it the way God is asking us to do it. :)

Unknown said...

You know my crazy road girl! I'm still heading down it :)