Friday, February 15, 2008

Egypt or Bust!


Today in Jeremiah, chapter 42, the Isrealites made a profound statement yet chose to disobey anyway. They were having a bad day, really bad! It hadn't gone so well in the recent days. Lots of the people they knew were slaughterd. They were really afraid, so off to Jeremiah they went for advice.... again.

Here is what they said: V5 Then they said to Jeremiah, "May the LORD be a true and faithful witness against us if we do not act in accordance with everything the LORD your God sends you to tell us. 6 Whether it is favorable or unfavorable, we will obey the LORD our God, to whom we are sending you, so that it will go well with us, for we will obey the LORD our God."

So they declare their allegience to the Word of the Lord, whatever it is, yet insist it's wrong. They head into Egypt. Exactly opposite of the word God spoke. (Did they not learn the first time?)

What were they thinking? We're they giving lip service because they knew it was the right thing to say but their heart was already made up? Was fear too strong for obedience. hmmm...

As I think about this attitude they had, wanting to obey at all cost yet running full force into the land of comfort and familiar, I know I am just like them. I am not bringing death to myself physically but I know I bring it spiritually. Obedience is costly. It requires complete submission. Maybe I'm obedient in every area but one. Is that ok? Do I pass the test? No way! God wants every part of me so He can really use me for His purposes. Don't fool yourself. When Jesus speaks to you, listen. Listen real close. You were made for great thing in the Lord. Don't settle for Egypt!

Reality Check:

What are you going to do? Pray, pray that His Spirit will rise up in you and give you courage to obey. As the Word says whether favorable or unfavorable, we will obey our God.

Thanks for Listening,
Tuna Jones

No comments: