Tuesday, September 16, 2008

HGTV Help My Basement!






My basement needs help. We have an awesome space that is crying out for color and style. Every time I walk down there I walk right back up and close the door. So sad.
Here's the dilemma.. HGTV won't come visit me. Nope, they sure won't. I went online to submit my poor basement as a project and sure enough they only reach as far as Hollywood. How sad is that? So..It's up to me to come up with a plan. Well, me and the family. Next problem..A vision and some spare change. I want this space to be "Fun Central" with very little layout from our pocketbook.
So here's what I'm thinking:
Americana Theme. Notice the period. This is a done deal. I have always wanted something in my house red, white and blue.
Bookshelves or built ins?
Foosball, Pool Table, Both?
Jute Box?
Pub table?
What else?
See the couches. We have a projector and keep them like that for optimum viewing. We really like it actually. So how do I separate the room space or do I?
Ok.. your turn. I no or very little artistic ability. Seriously. Ask anyone and everyone. Show them these sad photos. Help me come up with a plan! We are opening up this space to teenagers and friends. I need to make this happen soon.
As Kyra says on The Closer (our favorite summertime drama)...Thank, Thank you very much.

8 comments:

Kim ~ Kay Kay said...

Darn....had great suggestions for you. But just lost it all!
My break is over have to get back to work. I'll try later!!
Kimmie

Anonymous said...

One of the best ways recommended to me by a gal whose house looks great is to get some magazines and start imitating what they have. They can be full of great ideas...

What about watching that show on HGTV, I think it's called Decorating on a Dime. They have a budget of no more than $1000.00 and do amazing things. Even if you don't have that much, you might get some ideas.

Anonymous said...

That project looks like SO much fun!!

Sarah said...

Paint, paint, and maybe curtains then for sure watch HGTV shows to get great ideas! Get a pool table and make it a hang out room for your teens and you!

Joanna said...

I have pottery barn catalogs you can copy. target has great pottery barn knock-offs!

Kim ~ Kay Kay said...

O.K. I'll try this again.
I was saying how I like your theme alot! And I also like the pool table, foosball, jute box etc.
They go well with the teens. Do some fun painting, let the kids do some if you want. If not that, then some Americana theme pics and deco. Maybe some ideas from the kids will make them want to be in there. I LOVE BUILT IN SHELVING! (when we move, that's what I want)You can paint some of the shelving red, white, blue. You know in parts. (you prob.thought about that already) Is the Pub table something they can sit at to play games and cards? If not have a nice round table in there for them to play lots of games at. Another idea I thought of was for the girls and their friends. Have a section where they might be able to do some crafts or some fun project together, maybe some simple sewing.
The fleece tie blankets(if you like them) are fun, especially in the winter and for gifts. A fun fall project. Let the room come together with those things in mind and make it Very Americana! The couches, you could have the girls make the blankets red,white and blue theme and drape them over the backs of the couches to make it come together.NO SEWING FOR THOSE. Its an inexpensive way to do dec. I love Target for some of this stuff (the deco stuff)
should be inexpensive there. Look everywhere for the American look.
Things will come together. If you can't afford to buy some curtains you can make some inexpensive valances. If you have a Joanns they ALWAYS have coupons on line. The craft stores are good for ideas. Also walmart usually has a small craft dep. some of their furn. deco is not bad either. Cheap throw pillows are good too, make them if you can! Easy it's a square! In your shelves put some really great books for teens, on growing up, encouragement thru the young adult years etc. you never know who might come through your home needing something specail!
Anyway, there's my thought on it. Not sure if I helped or not. But maybe a couple of things. I'll think and look around when I'm out and see if anything pops out.
Bye :)

Kim ~ Kay Kay said...

One more thing. The wall where you have the pics and dolls. If that comes down you can paint the wall red and sponge white in it and then hang a dart board up thats blue. Depending on how safe those teens will be,LOL! Rugs would be cute in certain areas too, will save your carpet in the long run.
Sorry if these ideas are nothing your looking for! BYE

krissy said...

How about painting the media walls a nice navy blue? That would lend to nice cozy movie watching and set that part of the rooom apart from the rest. You probablys should have some book shelves, either built in or not, in the other section. A nice red and cream could cover those walls. A good game table and ping pong/foos/pool will fill in the floor. Don't clutter too much or you won't want to be in there. Some good poster art of american landscapes could be nice and some american quotes framed might be nice too. Brainstorming here!!!
-Krissy