Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 3... Civil Rights and the Mississippi


We stand together today, Black and White, freely unafraid, because of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960's.


The wreath is the place Martin Luther King, Jr was killed.






We started out day three driving into Memphis to feast our eyes on the great Mississippi River. It is reallly dirty. And reallly big. I was sharing how we'd swim in a lake when I was a child in KY that looked pretty nasty and they couldn't get it. Now I'm wondering why I did it too, but then I never gave it a thought! After taking some fun pictures on the railroad tracks .....(didn't your mother teach you not to walk up the railroad? ).... we went over to the Civil Rights Museum. Terrell had been here years before and this moment was a long time a comin'. I revel in teaching our children Black History each year and this day made it real. It doesn't matter what color of skin you have, if you live in America, Martin Luther King, Jr. has impacted your life.

Enjoy.

No comments: