Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Journey from Here to There

Today marked day 2 of our training. I would rather say investing. No, not money. Something more, deeper, driven by the heart.

I am standing at the road less traveled and moving onto a new path, a new journey. One that moves me from teaching 4 children of various ages, sometime in our pj's, sometimes doing the same subject for hours, sometimes just working on one's character to teaching a classroom of twenty-two 5th graders. Shocked are you? I know, I know! Me too. This day was to come, I always knew, but to be upon it and living it out, here and now, is quite surreal.

The first 2 days of our training, at this fabulous new place I will call home for 40 plus hours a week, has been motivating, frightening, exhausting and rewarding but mostly revealing. The gals who are walking us through this new journey are our mentors. They are truly investing in our lives. The thing that has brought me to tears is to see their heart. I am surrounded by a room full of women who are like minded and desire to see the whole child nurtured, educated and given an opportunity to rise above to become more. They are showing us how to not parrot or control the room or conversation but to be a guide, to facilitate, and lead. I can NOT tell you how appreciative I am for their heart. It leans in to all I have done with my own schooling or with my co-horts in Cali when we lived there. These gals who are training us live out all I have lived out in my circle of homeschooling families. Could it be possible to teach in a place that values what I value? I say yes, it is possible. I have found a place I thought could not exist. I thought in my naivety, that only US homeschoolers could desire for the whole child to be developed in a way that is reflected in The Well Trained Mind. I humbly say, I am wrong.

One does not stop growing or changing just because we are "all grown up". I know at 43 that I will be more aware, more knowledgeable, and hopefully more wise at 53 than I am now. I don't want to stop learning. I don't want to become prideful or arrogant in my thoughts. How can I show the love of Jesus and his transforming power in my life if I believe I have cornered the market. I learn from my God, my husband, my children, my extended family and now I will choose to learn from my peers. Oh this new chapter isn't going to be easy for awhile. I expect some bumps, bruises and even a few mountains to tredge across but all the while I will continue this path before me.

My heart is full of gratitude for this new journey and for the opportunity to serve in a whole new way. I have so much to learn and as I do, you'll hear it here. Until my next lesson...

Humbly I walk.

No comments: