Thursday, June 12, 2008

How Do You Cut Corners?

So... this is one of those serious blog post.

As the Keeper of the Home I am always conscious of one area in particular: Groceries.

The budget has grown yet we aren't eating steak every night. I really want to figure out how to slice this down. I understand coupons and hate trying to rememeber them. I really want meals that will be yummy, filling, and healthy.

This is where you come in. I want to hear how you cut corners. I'll post the ideas and we can all benefit from them. So post your comments by clicking on the comment button or email me @ mstunajones@yahoo.com . Come on people.. grocery prices are cutting into every area of the budget these days ... what do you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of things we have done to help may or may not come under your grocery budget. We have cut way back on plastic storage containers and ziploc bags for freezing. I was trying to remember what we did as kids or what our parents did. They either used butcher paper or foil which is a lot cheaper than storage bags. When we do buy them we reuse them. It may sound weird, but we wash them in hot soapy water after each use and hang them up with clothes pins to dry. We have NEVER gotten sick from a transfer of germs. If you are concerned about that, just add a little bleach to the water.

The other thing we are doing is converting over is to cloth napkins. We have one napkin per person, per day (of course unless you are having bbq ribs and it's just gross after you've eaten!) Paper products are expensive too, and we have been able to cut way back.

Other things:
*Smaller portions of meat
*Less frozen stuff
*Dilute your grape or apple juice with some water - still taste good.
*Look for meats that are expiring soon. Ask butcher when those are put out - cook or freeze it right away.

Sorry to take up so much room, but these are a few things we are doing.
*

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have been using Couponmom.com. Yes,coupons. The wed site tracks items on sale, and coupons available for those items. I shop sale items only. I saved $37.00 one week doing that. Wow, was I shocked. We also are growing alot of the veg's and fruit that we like to eat. We will have to wait a month or so to benefit... and the biggest way for our family of 6 is to plan a weekly menu (I've been doing this for about a year) I know exactly what we will eat and I only buy what I need to make those meals for that week. That keeps me from impluse shopping and buying things and forgetting they are in my freezer. I save at least $50 a week doing that. Hope it helps.
Gonzales Gang in CA