Friday, November 21, 2008

Christmas Traditions


For me Christmas holds many special memories. My parents did a great job at establishing traditions and making Christmas very magical for me. Now we carry on some of these traditions and have begun new ones.


Tradition #1 : Lights. Lots of lights. On the house, in the bushes, in the tree. When I was a kid my dad was so meticulous with our tree lights it took him HOURS before we were released to put on the ornaments. The tree was a work of art when we were done, all the way down to the tinsel. Our family now carries on this great tradition and loves to put lights on the house. Terrell and the kids have done this together for years. I help now and then and of course take pictures.


Tradition #2 : Advent Calendar. I made an Advent calendar when Gabe was a tiny tot. Every year we hang it up, read a card a night at dinner and then the children trade off putting ornaments on the calendar. A great way to talk about Christ.


Tradition #3 : Read. We read through one of the Gospels during the month. A chapter a night works great. Of course sometimes we play catch up in order to be done by Christmas morning.


Tradition #4 : Christmas movies. Grinch, Santa Claus 1 and 2, Christmas Story, and of course It's a Wonderful Life.


Tradition #5 : Baking. My mom makes T.H.E. best fudge ever. No lie. No one can make fudge like her. It's so delicious. I make cookies, breads, and pies too but I mostly look forward to Mom's fudge.


Tradition #6 : Dinner. We love having a big Christmas dinner together. Lots of family and Lots of food. We try to have dinner on Christmas Eve when we can get all the family together. This year is one of those years. Family flying in from everywhere. I can't wait!


Tradition #7 : Breakfast. My mom is a great cook. And she makes an excellent breakfast. We all help but I really like her fried eggs. We cook this big meal on Christmas morning. Oh goodness, we get way full on Biscuits and Gravy and all the other yummy breakfast fixins'.


Tradition #8 : Stockings. All of us have stockings. Mom and Dad started stuffing my brother and sisters when we were tiny and then when we got married our spouses stockings we stuffed too. Were not talking small stocking either. One year Dad gave the men a BIG DRILL. Now you understand how big. Now we all stuff them. A little here, a little there. It's so fun! We stuff our children's too.

Tradition #9 : Jammies. We buy the kids new jammies for Christmas and they get them on Christmas Eve.


Tradition #10 : This one is new for us this year. I am doing the Twelve Days of Christmas for the kids. It may be little gifts but definitely something to look forward too. I plan on having them all wrapped and under the tree before the twelve days begin. Can't wait!


Traditions are a great way to have fun with your kids and build memories for years to come.

Reality Check: What traditions do you have? What can you add this year to spice up this Christmas? Give it some thought. You still have time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just reminded me of the twelve days! I need to get started...EEK!!! Can't wait to get there!