Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What a Waste!

I have to tell you how STUPID we have become. I went to Wal-Mart for some groceries and this young man was going through the tomatoes, tossing them into a box. I personally thought they looked fine. I asked if he was throwing them out and he replied,"Yes". I walked over and looked at them and they seemed ok for stew or to use that day. Honestly, I would have bought them. He then went on to tell me folks have come to ask for the food about to be thrown out and Wal-mart refuses to give it out. You know shelters, people in need, ect. No they CRUSH it! He said sandwiches that have 2 days left before expiration, CRUSHED. Anything they deem bad, off to the crusher. He said it is because of liability. His comment, "Everyone wants to sue Wal-mart." How's that for ya. What happen to t he 1800's mentality where people helped each other. No, now we all sue each other. I'm sorry but I never seen such waste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good commentary, Sis. I don't know whether to feel bad for Walmart or not. With their attorney power you would think that they could find a way around that kind of thing. ?????????

Mom of Six said...

I have also asked for "bad" food at Wal-Mart. I have bunnies who would love the leftover lettuce and carrots and things. They told me no. At Vitamin Cottage, they give me bags full of their veggie waste for my rabbits.

I was talking to one Wal-Mart employee who said he was trying to convince them to make a sale bin for food close to it's expiration date like Safeway does. No dice. It really is sad to see all of that usable food wasted.

Luke Holzmann said...

Reminds me of the stories I've read about the dust-bowl era where they burned piles of oranges while people starved just to keep the price up.

~Luke